Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pattern for Newsboy Cap

Hello again, I just had a phonecall this morning from someone who was hoping to try out my own pattern for the Newsboy Cap. So here it is! My first attempt at writing a pattern! If there are any queries or obvious discrepencies please let me know! :) 
Please also let me know if you've used the pattern and how it turned out!


Notes:
This pattern is written in UK/AUS terms

Stitches used are ch- chain, dc- double crochet, tr- treble, dec tr- decrease treble, sl st- slip stitch
Ive used 8ply wool/cotton with a 5.00mm hook.
Tutorial for dec tr (decrease treble) stitch added at the end of this post.
This hat should fit approx 1-3years old.
To make larger, add a couple more increase rows, after row 11.
Instructions between * * need to be repeated as many times as indicated.
The 3ch at the beginning of each row is counted as 1 tr.



Start: ch 3, sl st in 1st ch to make loop

Row 1: ch 3, 15 tr in loop, sl st into the 3rd ch from beginning (16st)

Row 2: ch 3, 1 tr in same st, *1 tr in next st, 2tr in same st* x 7, 1 tr in next st, sl st into 3rd ch from beginning. (24st)

Row 3: ch 3, 1 tr in same st, *1 tr in each next 2 st, 2tr in same st*x 7, 1tr in each st to end and then sl st into 3rd ch from beginning. (32st)

Row 4: ch 3, 1tr in same st, *1 tr each in next 3 st, 2 tr in next st* x7, 1tr in each st to end and then sl st into 3rd ch from the beginning. (40st)

Row 5: ch 3, 1tr in same st, *1 tr each in next 4 st, 2 tr in next st* x7, 1tr in each st to end and then sl st into 3rd ch from the beginning. (48st)

Row 6: ch 3, 1tr in same st, *1 tr each in next 5 st, 2 tr in next st* x7, 1tr in each st to end and then sl st into 3rd ch from the beginning. (56st)

Row 7: ch 3, 1tr in same st, *1 tr each in next 6 st, 2 tr in next st* x7, 1tr in each st to end and then sl st into 3rd ch from the beginning. (64st)

Row 8: ch 3, 1tr in same st, *1 tr each in next 7 st, 2 tr in next st* x8, 1tr in each st to end and then sl st into 3rd ch from the beginning. (72st)

Row 9: ch 3, 1tr in same st, *1 tr each in next 8 st, 2 tr in next st* x7, 1tr in each st to end and then sl st into 3rd ch from the beginning. (80st)

Row 10: ch 3, 1tr in same st, *1 tr each in next 9 st, 2 tr in next st* x7, 1tr in each st to end and then sl st into 3rd ch from the beginning. (88st)

Row 11: ch 3, 1tr in same st, *1 tr each in next 10 st, 2 tr in next st* x7, 1tr in each st to end and then sl st into 3rd ch from the beginning.(96st)

Row 12, 13, 14, 15 : ch 3, 1 tr in each st all the way round, sl st into 3rd ch from beginning. (96st)

Row 16: ch 3, *dec tr (2 st together), 1tr in next st* all the way round, may require 1 tr in last stitch, sl st into 3rd ch from beginning.

Row 17, 18, 19: ch 1, dc in each st all the way around (remembering on row 16, to keep the dec st from last row together, and not to put a stitch between them.) sl st into 3rd ch from beginning. Do not fasten off.

*************************************************

Brim:
Row 1: turn, dc, dc, *2tr in same st, tr* x8, 2tr in same st, dc, dc, dc

Row 2: turn, dc in 2nd dc from last row, dc, 2 tr in same stitch (should be above the 2tr from last row) then tr, tr, 2tr in same stitch (should be above the 2tr from last row again) and then tr in each stitch till you get to the point of repeating that sequence (in reverse) to match the other side. Finish with and extra dc into the base of the hat again..

Row 3:  turn, dc, dc, tr, tr, 2tr in next st, then tr to the point where you repeat the stitches in reverse to match other side. Fasten off and sew in ends.

***************************************
Here is a picture of the top view of  the cap Im currently working on. Gives you an idea on how the increase rows look:



Tutorial for dec tr stitch (decrease treble)
Work a tr in the next stitch without completing the very last step (leave the last two loops on the hook), then tr in the next stitch without completing the last step. You should have three loops on the hook then yarn over and draw through all the loops. Decrease made.

Have fun!
xx Emma

17/3/11 edited to add.
If you have queries about the pattern, and you found it via Ravelry, feel free to PM me, my username being Leftlady, and I will be happy to help!

24 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks a heap Emma!! I'll get started soon....need to do a little housework first,but then will start it. I've only got a 4 mm hook, so I'll try with that. Thanks for inspiring me. BTW, I love the blog!

Cindy said...

Saved ;) Next on the WIP list....looks great everyone!

Emma said...

No worries Denise, I really hope it makes sense. Im sure your girls will look very sweet in these! :)

Cheers Cindy!

happymuppet said...

Righto girls, need to see more handiworks!! Everyone been too busy?

Emma said...

Incredibly busy!!! lol! Im working on a few things tho.. Will have something to post up soon.

Beck said...

Hi Emma, thanks for sharing the pattern, I love the hat! :) I have made a few... here's a link to the ones I made :)
Cheers, Beck xx

Beck said...

oops forgot to post the link, lol
http://tonybeckashlyn.blogspot.com/2010/10/hats.html

Anonymous said...

This is an adorable hat in theory. I have had 4 starts on this pattern without success. I've tried lighter yarn, heavier yarn, smaller crochet hooks and the size you suggested. Using the treble stitch makes everything too small, after the second row it's shaped more like a regular hat (rounded) than the flat one in your picture. I've even tried crocheting looser, could you give more information on what the hat looks like as it's being crochet? Will it flatten out the larger it gets? It seems like there are not enough stitches starting out for it to lay flat.
Thanks,
Jen

Emma said...

Hello Jen, thanks for you comment. Im sorry that the pattern doesnt seem to be working for you. I have just retested the first few rounds with 8 ply and a 5.5mm hook - first one I grabbed) and it seems to build out quite flat. So not sure what the difference is for you.. are you getting to 24 st in row 2? The hats that I have made build out flat until row 11 (or whenever I stop the increasing, depending on what size hook, and yarn ply) and only shape when the no increase rows are added.
If you need to ask any more Q's regarding feel free to message me in ravelry, my screen name is leftlady.
Cheers, Emma

Jen said...

Hey! I love the pattern, the hat is so cute. I was wondering, though, if you had the pattern for the little flower on the hat? There's one on the pic you posted on Ravelry, and I'd love to add that embellishment.

Emma said...

Hi Jen, here's the link to the flower pattern, it really is such a nice flower, looks great with any size hook and yarn

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/double-layer-flower

glad you like the hat pattern too! :)
cheers,
Emma

Midori said...

Hi! I have tried and tried to get this pattern right but it seems to form a bowl on row 2. I cannot seem to get enough stitches! It says X7 but I cannot get that many. Please help! This hat is so cute!

angel said...

Hi there,
I’ve been trying to make your beautiful newsboy cap for my daughter. The first time I tried it I used a size 6 hook because that’s the first one I came across and the hat was huge. So I’ve unravelled it and had another go using the size 5 hook and wool you recommended. I’ve finished the hat and it is still huge. As it is now, the hat sits well below my 2 year old’s ears, looking more like a beanie. I was wondering how many rows you’ve done in the pink hat your daughter is wearing on your website? It can’t possibly be 18 like the pattern says, can it? I tried counting, but you can’t see all of the hat. I’ve now taken some rows out, but it still doesn’t sit right.
Thank you for your help,
Simone

zola said...

I'm a bit late to this, but just in case anyone is having the same problem I was... double check the UK vs US terms ;) I started using US trebles and had the same problem as an earlier poster with the hat not sitting flat after the first couple of rounds. I read the pattern again and realised what I was doing, started again using the UK treble (US double) and it's working out fine now :)

Emma said...

Hello, thanks for all your comments. I hope there has been some successful outcomes. As the comment above says I would just like to remind you that this pattern is not written in US terms, but UK/AUS as noted at the beginning of the pattern (Im going to put that bit in bold!) You can find some useful conversion charts around, just google!

Cheers, and happy crocheting.

Rebecca said...

I found your pattern yesterday and have already made a hat for each of my two daughters. It is a gorgeous pattern and so easy to follow. I plan on using this pattern quite a bit! Thank you

Princess said...

Hiii.. Just wanted to clarify.. Row 8 - is it 8 times or 7 times? I guess 7 times right? Because the total stitches at end is 72 sts. Is written 8 times, so wanted to ask.
Thank u for the lovely pattern :)

Me said...

When you finish row 10, What is the measurement across the hat from side to side?
Thanks,

Anonymous said...

I'm reading your pattern before I start and I see a problem right off that doesn't make sense or will even look like the hat. For example, in Rnd 2 *1 tr in next st, 2tr in "same" st* x 7. That would be 3 sts in the same stitch. That can't be right. ARe you using "ch" ones to get the space like in the picture???

Loreen said...

How are you getting that "mesh" look without skipping anything. I don't get it. The pattern does not have any "skips" or chs to make the spaces. Is the pattern updated? Can you clarify. How are the spaces created???

Anonymous said...

The pattern is great but it is obviously not the same pattern as the picture. The picture has spaces between each stitch. Do you have the pattern for the one in the picture?

Donna said...

My granddaughter is 4 yrs old. How many more increase rows would I need

Thanks
Donna

Donna said...

My granddaughter is 4 yrs old. How many more increase rows would I need
I'm using worsted weight yarn
Thanks
Donna

Katie said...

Thanks so much. My little sister has been begging me to make her a "newsie" hat for ages. I used this pattern, made a few alterations to suit my sisters needs, and it came out perfect. She was so happy she cried